[Mailman-Users] serious newbie here

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Sep 18 18:35:12 CEST 2011

Glenn English wrote:

>One of my users sent out a mailing this morning, and 18% of them bounced. All the bounce reports (from remote MTAs) said things about bad addresses. He says this has happened before, but when he made another list, of only the bounces, a lot of them worked.
>
>I can't think of any way this can happen. Have any of you seen something like this?

This seems quite strange. It is almost certainly not a Mailman issue
per se unless the bounces complained specifically about the envelope
sender of the message (LISTNAME-bounces at LIST.DOMAIN).

Check your Postfix log for the delivery of some of the bounced mail. In
particular, look at the receiving MTA for the mail that bounced vs.
mail to the same address that didn't bounce. Possibly some DNS glitch
caused the first batch to be routed via an incorrect MX.