[Mailman-Users] Mailman lists are set up but posts to thelists arenot arriving

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Sep 17 00:27:26 CEST 2011

jhock wrote:

>The exim4 daemon runs with group id = Debian-exim. That is why I
>configured Mailman --with-mail-gid=Debian-exim. I assumed that the
>mail-gid was the group id of the mail daemon.
>
>However, I have reconfigured Mailman --with-mail-gid=mailman as you
>suggested.

You have set the MAILMAN_USER and MAILMAN_GROUP macros to 'mailman'.
The suggested mailman transport for exim contains

user = MAILMAN_USER
group = MAILMAN_GROUP

which tells Exim to run the pipe to the wrapper as user:group =
mailman:mailman. If Exim has sufficient privilege do do so, it will.

>> >I have tried to apply to the content of section 6.2 in the
>> >mailman-2.1.14-1/doc/mailman-install.txt
>> >
>> >/etc/exim4/conf.d/main/04_local_mailman_macros
>> >/etc/exim4/conf.d/router/970_local_mailman
>> >/etc/exim4/conf.d/./transport/40_local_mailman
>>

>> Did you read the note at the beginning of section 6.2 which says in
>> part "The updated document is here:
>> http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html and is recommended over the
>> information in the subsections below if you are using Exim 4."
>>

>That document is even less helpful. It doesn't mention what files to add
>the lines:
>
>MM_HOME=/var/mailman
>MM_UID=mailman
>MM_GID=mailman
>
>and
>
>domainlist mm_domains=list.example.com

I refrained from referring you to the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/OIDD> in my initial reply because it appeared
you were installing Mailman from source, however, as others have
pointed out, the document at
<http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html> is written from the point
of view of a "normal" Exim configuration where everything is in one
large file. You are apparently trying to install Mailman in a "hybrid"
manner where you have installed Mailman from source, but are still
using the (Debian/Ubuntu ?) Exim/Mailman packaging. Thus, the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/OIDD> is applicable.

>There is nothing in the mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py that has MM_HOME
>etc. however there is reference to MAILMAN_HOME etc. Hence I used what
>was in the documentation with the mailman/doc/mailman-install.txt files.

Everything in section 6.2 of the install manual is Exim configuration.
Nothing goes in mm_cfg.py and Defaults.py should never be changed for
reasons discussed in the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/fIA9>.

>I have no idea in which file(s) to add the:
>
>accept  domains = +local_domains
>        endpass
>        message = unknown user
>        verify  = recipient
> and
>
>accept hosts = 127.0.0.1
>
>content.

If you had a standard Exim config, thos would go (actually, the first
would probably alreade be) in the ACL CONFIGURATION section of
exim.conf under acl_check_rcpt:. I have no idea into which sub-file
your configuration has split that off.

>The list verification output seemed to be correct so I guess the content
>of the mailman/docs/mailman-install.txt file worked expect that the
>messages were not getting through.
>
>I think that the exim4 needs to be changes to allow to and from external
>emails but I have no idea how to do this.
>
>> >The content of my:
>> >syslog
>> >apache error logs and
>> >mailman error logs
>> >
>> >tell me nothing that I can understand.
>>

>> Well, you are coming here for help because we might be able to
>> understand what's in those logs, but not if we don't see them. The
>> apache logs aren't relevant to "can't post" issues, but the other's
>> are, so what's in them.
>>

>The entry in the exim4/rejectlog is:
>
>2011-09-16 14:53:08 H=localhost (asdd.osdm.gov.au) [127.0.0.1]
>F=<mailman-bounces+info=mymaps.gov.au at mymaps.gov.au> temporarily
>rejected RCPT <info at mymaps.gov.au>: expected "sender[=address]",
>"recipient", "helo", "header_syntax", "header_sender" or
>"reverse_host_lookup" at start of ACL condition "verify recipients"

This indicates a syntax error somewhere in the acl_check_rcpt: section
of your exim configuration. What did you change there?

>I tried Googling part of that string but I didn't find anything to
>overcome the problem.
>
>The entry in the mailman/log/post file is:
>
>Sep 16 14:53:08 2011 (25420) post to mymaps-l from
>mailman-bounces at mymaps.gov.au, size=551,
>message-id=<mailman.1.1316133151.10188.mymaps-l at mymaps.gov.au>, 1
>failures
>
>The entry in the smtp file is:
>
>Sep 16 14:53:08 2011 (25420)
><mailman.1.1316133151.10188.mymaps-l at mymaps.gov.au> smtp to mymaps-l for
>1 recips, completed in 0.069 seconds
>
>The entries in the smtp-failure file are:
>
>Sep 16 14:53:08 2011 (25420) All recipients refused:
>{'info at mymaps.gov.au': (451, 'Temporary local problem - please try
>later')}, msgid: <mailman.1.1316133151.10188.mymaps-l at mymaps.gov.au>
>Sep 16 14:53:08 2011 (25420) delivery to info at mymaps.gov.au failed with
>code 451: Temporary local problem - please try later

These all say that Exim has temporarily rejected outgoing mail from
Mailman because of the initial error.

What does

 exim -f mailman-bounces+info=mymaps.gov.au at mymaps.gov.au \
 -bt info at mymaps.gov.au