[Mailman-Users] postfix+mailman - User unknowninvirtualmailboxtable

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Sep 3 19:04:19 CEST 2011

<joydeep at infoservices.in> wrote:

>I have set  SMTPHOST = 'localhost' at
> /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
>
>and this has solved the issue.

I'm glad your group mismatch problem is solved, but I can assure you
that setting SMTPHOST = 'localhost' in mm_cfg.py is not what solved
it. First of all, this is no different from the Defaults.py setting
and thus didn't change anything. More importantly, SMTPHOST is used by
Mailman only to determine to what host to connect for SMTP to deliver
outgoing mail. It has nothing at all to do with mail delivery TO
Mailman.

When I referred to the 'local' transport, I was refering to the Postfix
module that was actually piping mail to Mailman. I.e. in a Postfix log
entry for delivery to Mailman what you see as see "relay=...".

So I don't know what actually solved your problem. Perhaps you removed
list aliases from /etc/aliases and neglected to run "newaliases" or
"postalias /etc/aliases" until sometime later or you did something
else that solved the problem, but it wasn't just setting SMTPHOST =
'localhost' in mm_cfg.py.