[Mailman-Users] bounces not getting through for processing

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sun Oct 30 20:37:31 CET 2011

Hi,

Sorry if this is a bit vague.

I give an excerpt from a log file today. One of many with slightly
different wordings depending on which server was responding. Some
reporting me as 'exceeding the limit for bounced messages'.

Oct 30 16:02:39 jason postfix/smtp[11547]: B6883E81A7:
to=<fables-list-bounces+dmorris=inext.co.za at fables.co.za>,
relay=smtp.isdsl.net[196.26.208.193]:25, conn_use=5, delay=45,
delays=0.02/0/0.24/45, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
smtp.isdsl.net[196.26.208.193] said: 550 Sorry, I don't accept bounce
messages with a invalid recipient. (in reply to RCPT TO command))

(some of the bounce addresses _were_ valid, I checked one, got an
answer back from the addressee, but that could be a different issue)

Verp is on as you can see. But on a run last week without verp we were
left in the same situation as described here.

There were a lot similar to this. I note that get_bounce_info shows no
bounce information when I ran it after the run.

anne at jason:~ ssh$ sudo /usr/lib/mailman/bin/withlist -r get_bounce_info
fables-list
Importing get_bounce_info...
Running get_bounce_info.get_bounce_info()...
Bounce info for fables-list list
Finalizing

ditto bounce results for a small test list as well which has
deliberate dud addresses on.

Further, since I am running this through a relay, the relevant email
account fables-list-bounces@ shows no activity whatsoever today. No
bounce mail passed through there.

Not a doubt that I should have had a lot of bounces on this list which
has been dormant for months, and the log file did show plenty.

Any idea where I might find the holdup? I suspect either the postfix
configuration or something to do with the smtp relay isp. I don't think
the bounces get back to the isp email account, are then not downloaded,
are then not processed. ???

regards
Anne