[Mailman-Users] Blocking messages from kijiji (SENDER_HEADERSsolution interferes with logging?)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 28 08:25:25 CEST 2011

francis picabia wrote:

>>> On second thought what we needed is similar, but probably:
>>>
>>> SENDER_HEADERS = ('from')
>>>
>>> Would there be problems "from" this?

It should be

SENDER_HEADERS = ('from',)

The comma is important. It makes SENDER_HEADERS a tuple with one
member. Without the comma, SENDER_HEADERS would be the string 'from'
and the code which looks at all the headers in SENDER_HEADERS would
look at the 'f', 'r', 'o' and 'm' headers and would find no senders so
all posts would be non-member posts.

>>> For internal emails we already use canonical_maps in
>>> postfix to standardize the from address into something
>>> predictable.
>>>

>> This works, but of course it has caught someone using another
>> unconventional list
>> with a problem of the sort: "but it always worked this way before".
>>
>> I check out the /var/log/maillog area for signs the user
>> is caught by this change, but oddly, nothing is
>> appearing in the logs.  It appears than restricting
>> the SENDER_HEADERS this way causes no logging
>> on the mailman end.  Is there a way to fix this?

The post should have been handled via generic_nonmember_action and
whatever action was taken, it should have been logged in Mailman's
'vette' log, unless there was some other problem causing an exception
logged with a traceback in Mailman's 'error' log.

>I've now removed the SENDER_HEADERS configuration.  It was interfering
>with too much delivery to our lists which should have gone through,
>and without logging in mailman, I don't know why.

If you put the correct

SENDER_HEADERS = ('from',)

in mm_cfg.py, it should work.