[Mailman-Users] public archive points to private archivedirectory

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 28 02:12:46 CEST 2011

Russell L. Carterwrote:

>On 10/27/2011 04:33 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>>> What's the Right Way to fix this so that clicking the visit archives
>>> link on a new list doesn't result in a 403 Forbidden barf?
>>

>> Make the archives/private/ directory searchable by the web server.
>> Either
>>
>> chown www-data:list archives/private
>>
>> or
>>
>> chmod o+x archives/private.
>>
>> See section 4 of the installation manual at
>> <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node9.html>. Also see
>> <http://wiki.list.org/x/OIDD>, and if this is the way the Debian
>> package installs, report this to Debian as a packaging bug.
>>

>Ok, I guess I need to purge the current installation and
>figure out where the permissions go awry while configuring the
>debian installed package.

One possibility is that the archives/private directory was installed
o+x and bin/check_perms told you

Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
         This could allow other users on your system to read private
archives.
         If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
         installation manual on how to fix this.

and you then set o-x without also changing the owner to www-data.