[Mailman-Users] Virtual Hosting Query

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 25 20:40:06 CEST 2011

Drew Ferguson wrote:

>Google points to an old mail
>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-February/034943.html
>which says to put a line like
>  add_virtualhost('web.domain.com','smtp.domain.com')
>in mm_cfg.py
>
>and doing so allows the creation of the list
>
>Have I missed something fundamental or should this be in the
>documentation?

It is in the documentation. Defaults.py contains

># Mailman needs to know about (at least) two fully-qualified domain names
># (fqdn); 1) the hostname used in your urls, and 2) the hostname used in email
># addresses for your domain.  For example, if people visit your Mailman system
># with "http://www.dom.ain/mailman" then your url fqdn is "www.dom.ain", and
># if people send mail to your system via "yourlist at dom.ain" then your email
># fqdn is "dom.ain".  DEFAULT_URL_HOST controls the former, and
># DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST controls the latter.  Mailman also needs to know how to
># map from one to the other (this is especially important if you're running
># with virtual domains).  You use "add_virtualhost(urlfqdn, emailfqdn)" to add
># new mappings.

The installation manual urges you to read Defaults.py
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/customizing.html>.

This is also covered in the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/lYA9>.

If there is some other specific place where you feel this should be
mentioned, please let us know.