[Mailman-Users] Mailman on Debian with Lighttpd ans Postfix

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Oct 24 17:56:47 CEST 2011

On 10/23/2011 4:55 PM, Andreas Stein wrote:

> probably my problem is very simple, but after some days of research, I´m
> stucked.
>
> I tried to install mailman 1.2.11 on Debian 5.0 with lighttpd 1.4.29 and
> postfix 2.5.5.

I think you mean Mailman 2.1.11.

> Everything went fine, but I can´t call the site listen.domain.com. There
> is no error, but a blank/white page with a http code 200 (curl -I). So
> no error at all, but nothing to see. sometimes, when I restart lighttpd
> I got to see the normal listinfo page, but if I reload it, I got again
> only a blank page.

This is a lighttpd question. A URL such as
http://listen.domain.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo should invoke the CGI
wrapper named listinfo in Mailman's cgi-bin/ directory, and similarly
for the other CGI wrappers in Mailman's cgi-bin/ directory. If you want
simpler URLs like http://listen.domain.com or
you have to redirect them in lighttpd.

> After registering a new mailinglist the mail-owner get´s a mail, so I
> think, that postfix is normally configured.

This only says Mailman can deliver outgoing mail to Postfix and Postfix
will deliver it. There is normally no Postfix configuration required to
handle this. The more significant question is whether Postfix can
deliver incoming list mail to Mailman.

> The question for me is: Where to look?
> In mailman logs there are no errors at all and lighttpd seems also to
> work. So where I could search for the error?

In the lighttpd logs?

> LIGHTTPD Config
> ========================
> server.modules                += ( "mod_cgi" )
>
> $HTTP["host"] == "listen.domain.com" {
> server.document-root = "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman"

I know nothing about lighttpd, but this looks like an Apache
DocumentRoot directive which is not what you need. You need the
equivalent of Apache's ScriptAlias to point mailman URLs to Mailman's
cgi-bin directory which in a Debian package would normally be
/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin, not /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman.

> accesslog.filename = "/var/log/lighttpd/mailman/access.log"
>
> server.name = "listen.domain.com"
> # make sure that no-one can list our directory contents
> server.dir-listing = "disable"
>
> alias.url += (
> "/mailman/" => "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/",

Again, this should be a CGI alias, not a normal alias.

> "/pipermail/" => "/var/lib/mailman/archives/public/",
> "/images/mailman/" => "/usr/share/images/mailman/",
> )
> cgi.assign = (
> "/admin" => "",
> "/admindb" => "",
> "/confirm" => "",
> "/create" => "",
> "/edithtml" => "",
> "/listinfo" => "",
> "/options" => "",
> "/private" => "",
> "/rmlist" => "",
> "/roster" => "",
> "/subscribe" => "")

OK. maybe these do that, but you still have the issue of the path which
I think should be /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin, not /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman.

> url.rewrite = ( "^/$" => "/mailman/listinfo",
> "^/mailman/$" => "/mailman/listinfo" )

OK. these look good.

> }
> ===================================
>
> the mm_cfg.py looks like that
[...]
> #-------------------------------------------------------------
> # If you change these, you have to configure your http server
> # accordingly (Alias and ScriptAlias directives in most httpds)
> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/cgi-bin/mailman/'

If I understand your lighttpd configuration, you don't want "/cgi-bin"
in mailman URLs You want the default value for DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN. I.e.,

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

or just omit it here.

> PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/cgi-bin/mailman/private'

The above is meaningless as Mailman has no references to
PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL. You may be thinking of the default

PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'

but that default should be fine based on your alias

"/pipermail/" => "/var/lib/mailman/archives/public/",

[...]

As far as the stuff below is concerned (and maybe PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL
above), Please see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/OIDD>.