[Mailman-Users] Digests and HTML-enhanced email

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sat Oct 22 17:13:56 CEST 2011

Dear Lindsay,

perhaps I can make an input to this thread since I was about to
post something similar. If my comments are incorrect, please advise
since I have no desire to mislead any one.

We, too, have a load of old dinosaurs on one list who always manage to
post to wrong addresses and whose posts are of often rejected.
Getting the plain-text gospel across is hard.

Outside of digests, of which I know nothing, I see two approaches.
One aimed at getting plain text conformity from member input and the
other at getting plain text readability from Mailman output.

The first is reflected in the users FAQ 3.10 "How to enforce a
text-plain policy". The answer being "with difficulty" because this
option probably (as I read it) ensures that any message with
non-plain-text content is completely, utterly, and totally, rejected,
even if plain-text is present, rejecting all non-conformist messages and
requiring you to drill your recipients into plain-text submission.

The second is Content Filtering. I understand that this is to remove
objectionable content types, and steamroller the rest into conformity as
plain-text. It appears not to be 'on' by default.

With a number of lists running I had played about with these items, but
we have a residual core of trouble. I have just (read last night)
reverted to switching Content Filtering 'on' with the default settings
and will monitor results closely. The lists are now set identically
in this regard. Text-plain enforcement policies are not in place at
present.

Anne