[Mailman-Users] Integrating mailman with postfix, using virtual domains

Syafril Hermansyah syafril at dutaint.co.id
Fri Oct 14 02:54:26 CEST 2011

On 10/13/2011 11:54 PM, Geoff Shang wrote:
>> That's not wise IMHO, better to separate domain for list server and
>> virtual mailbox domain.
>
> I've *never* had to do this and believe it just creates unecesary
> complexity where it's not needed.

This recommendation for public mailing list, not for internal use only.
When we used same domain for virtual mailbox domain and mailing list
sometimes sender/poster confused which address for mailing list or
mailbox, unless we made special name/arrangement such Listname-L at domain.tld.

Making separate domains just to make simple/clear from sender/poster
point of view also making the configuration on postfix/mailman quite simple.
Just in case in the future the traffic of mailing list growing up which
can make mail for ordinary (corporate) affected, we can move all of
mailing list to other host.
If you run your own DNS server, creation of subdomain is no cost (no
need to buy/pay to domain registrar/registrant).

--
syafril
-------