[Mailman-Users] Integrating mailman with postfix, using virtual domains

Nick Bright nick.bright at valnet.net
Tue Oct 11 02:40:34 CEST 2011

I'm sure this has been covered many times; however nothing I've found so
far in the mailing list archives has alleviated this problem.

I've followed the mailman documentation for integrating mailman with
postfix, according to
http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html as well as
various mailing list posts on this list.

Note that I am attempting to configure a virtual_mailbox_domain with
mailman (not a virtual_alias_domain).

mm_cfg.py contains:

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['valnet.net']
MTA = 'Postfix'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'mail.valnet.net'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'valnet.net'
VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'valnet.net'

A mailing list was created with the newlist, which created
/etc/mailman/aliases and /etc/mailman/virtual-mailman (and their
associated db files).

I've added /etc/mailman/virtual-mailman to my virtual_alias_maps, and
added /etc/mailman/aliases to my alias_maps and alias_database in main.cf:

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/etc/mailman/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/etc/mailman/aliases
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/mailman/virtual-mailman

If I'm reading all of the documentation correctly, that should be all
that is necessary to make it work.

Unfortunately, when I send an email to testlist at valnet.net I receive a
bounce back of:

<testlist at valnet.net>: unknown user: "testlist at valnet.net"

With an associated postfix log entry of:

Oct 10 19:22:47 mail postfix/virtual[22090]: DBF7241F5F:
to=<testlist at valnet.net>, relay=virtual, delay=0.39,
delays=0.36/0/0/0.03, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (unknown user:
"testlist at valnet.net")

When I test the alias maps I see:

[root at mail postfix]# postmap -q testlist at valnet.net
hash:/etc/mailman/virtual-mailman
testlist
[root at mail postfix]# postmap -q testlist hash:/etc/mailman/aliases

"|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post testlist"

That output *seems* correct, but I don't know if that's really correct
or not.

In case it's worth noting, the list administrator specified in newlist
does receive an email about the list being created.

I really think I've just missed something simple in the documentation,
but the documentation for how to do this is strung out in so many
different places and is a bit difficult to find, that I'm not entirely
certain I've read it all.

Any tips or things to check would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  Nick