[Mailman-Users] Rather perplexing set of problems with a new 2.1.14 vhost install on a DirectAdmin box -- and I'm new to Mailman

Christopher Woods (CustomMade) christopher at custommade.org.uk
Wed Nov 23 19:03:10 CET 2011

Hi all,

After becoming frustrated with Majordomo I decided to install Mailman on a
DirectAdmin box I fell into managing. After some research I found Mark
Sapiro's 2.1.14 vhost port
(https://code.launchpad.net/~msapiro/mailman/vhost) which includes some
fixes and merges of virtual hosting patches to the 2.1.13 base; I followed
the instructions on
http://projects.ict4schools.nl/public/wiki/linux-alg/Installing_Mailman_on_D
irectAdmin and initial install seemed to finish OK.

I configured it with the default_email_host of lists.primarydomain.tld and
default_url_host of lists.primarydomain.tld (I'm obfuscating all URLs) in
mm_cfg.py; I also set up three additional virtualhosts in mm_cfg.py with the
add_virtualhost() command, let's call those lists.domain[2-4].tld.

I could load the mailman listinfo page -- and after a couple of small fixes
to Apache aliases, including realising that running "check_perms -f" on an
already-functional installation resets the permissions on "/cgi-bin/" and
breaks the install, I thought I was up and running.

After checking DNS had refreshed, I could bring up the mailman/listinfo
welcome page for all of the domains configured. Having created the mailman
list as part of the installation at the command prompt without issue, and
received the email as expected, I went straight to the
http://lists.domain1.tld virtualhost and set up a new list named
'announce-test' via "http://lists.domain1.tld/mailman/create". This seemed
to work ok and threw no errors; however when clicking on the list from the
success page, I just got "No such list announce-test at domain1.tld". NB that
this error message also shows "domain1.tld" and not "lists.domain1.tld" as
expected, so it looks like it's ignored the subdomain -- why, I do not know.

I then went back to my email and noticed that mailman had sent me an
approval email with two attachments: the original "confirm" email and a
"gate_news" email, containing the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 293, in ?
    main()
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 268, in main
    lock.lock(timeout=0.5)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 243, in lock
    self.__write()
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 422, in __write
    fp = open(self.__tmpfname, 'w')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/home/mailman/locks/gate_news.lock.node1.customhost.org.uk.12404.0'

The body of the main message reads:

As list administrator, your authorization is requested for the following
mailing list posting: