[Mailman-Users] question about harvesting of non-archived lists by archiveorange.com

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:02:14 CET 2011

Hello all,

A list owner of one of our 500+ mailing lists notified me that
postings from their non-archived list was being harvested by
archiveorange.com and could be found via Google. I found that many of
our lists are archived on this site, and this is not something that we
really want.  I am just querying the list to see if this has happened
with others using Mailman. The website explains that archiveorange
"subscribes" to lists and then harvests messages. It seems that the
only way this could happen to a non-archived list is for the mailbox
directories to readable to the outside. Is there something else that
is going on here?

Thanks for any information that anyone has to offer.

--
Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com