[Mailman-Users] Site admin per mail domain

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 22 04:10:12 CET 2011

Geoff Shang wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Nov 2011, Christian Lerrahn wrote:
>
>> I have noticed that Mailman identifies lists by there names only but
>> allows them to run in different mail domains. I realise that I can also
>> have different domains and host names for the web interfaces. However,
>> what I cannot find out for sure is if a site admin only exists per
>> Mailman install or also per mail domain.
>
>Certainly in the regular release Mailman, site admin is per install.  You
>could achieve what you want by having multiple Mailman installations, one
>per domain.

Multiple instances will also allow the same list name in different
domains and is the recommended way to do this with Mailman 2.1.

Also note that you can also set an installation/instance global list
creator password to allow people to create lists without giving them
the keys to the kingdom.

>> Also, is there a trick to have lists test3 at lists.example.net and
>> test3 at lists.example.com simultaneously without needing to work with
>> aliases somehow?
>
>There is a patch for being able to do this IIRC, but not in stock
>unpached Mailman.  Apparently this will be possible in Mainman 3.

Yes, MM 3 supports lists with the same name in different domains. There
are at least two approaches to patching Mailman 2.1 to do this:
<https://code.launchpad.net/~msapiro/mailman/vhost> and
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/558126>, but as I said above,
the recommended way is multiple Mailman instances.