[Mailman-Users] mail not going out; no logs

chad+mailman at shire.net chad+mailman at shire.net
Fri Nov 18 18:37:00 CET 2011

Turns out this is an embarrassing case of user being an idiot.  I was looking in the wrong list admin UI.  There are two lists with similar names and for some reason I was logged in to the wrong one.  (Probably because I had just that day been fixing a problem with the list UI for that wrong list and made a mental screw up based on association and the fact that I still had a browser window opened to it).

I got that figured out when the real admin of the list logged in and approved one and cancelled the rest and the approved one came across the wire, which surprised me since I had not had the luck.

(continued below)

On Nov 18, 2011, at 12:30 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> The message is being held for some reason. Mailman's vette log will
> tell you why, and it should appear on the list's admindb interface.

This is what was confusing me since I was logged in to the wrong list's admin UI.

However, there was no vette log.  That appears to get created by the action of the admin going through and canceling or approving already held messages, but does not show the original hold condition/reason.

There is a vette log after the real admin went in and cleared out all my test posts and approved her real one.

>> logs/   shows nothing except when the qrunners start and stop (successfully).
>

> If you don't see anything in Mailman's vette log, there is either a
> permissions issue in writing the logs or you are not looking at the
> correct logs.

Now that I see what the issue was, things are OK.  But the lack of logs had concerned me and I was not sure how to debug why they were not getting written as the permissions all looked fine.  Hence my original confusion.

> If you don't see the held message in the admindb interface, the web
> server is pointing at the wrong Mailman installation.

Or I am in the wrong list admindb interface ;-)

Thanks for your help!
Chad