[Mailman-Users] Issues with mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Nov 16 03:46:47 CET 2011

Chris Petrik wrote:

>looking at the log all I see is the typical:
>admin(62887):   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 549,
>in __s$
>admin(62887):     os.link(fname, fname_last)
>admin(62887): OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted

Right. It is the same error. In this case above it is the web admin CGI
that encounters the error.

It appears the underlying issue is that your OS will not allow anyone
other than the owner of a file to create a hard link to it.

I.e. if config.pck is owned by www:mailman, the qrunners running as
mailman:mailman can't create the link and if config.pck is owned by
mailman:mailman the web server running as www:mailman can't create the
link.

This prevents an updated list object from being saved by any process
not running as the user who owns config.pck even though that process
is running as group mailman and the mailman group *should* have
permission.