[Mailman-Users] Issues with mailman

Chris Petrik c.petrik.sosa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 00:29:03 CET 2011

On 11/15/2011 5:09 PM, Chris Petrik wrote:
> On 11/15/2011 5:00 PM, Chris Petrik wrote:
>>> Actually, I gave you the wrong advice. The ln command should have been
>>>
>>> ln config.pck config.pck.last
>>>
>>> If that works, instead of trying this via the ln command, you could try
>>> it in a python process. Again as user mailman in mailman's home
>>> directory do
>>>
>>> bin/withlist -i
>>>
>>> This will respond with a few lines followed by a>>>  prompt. At the
>>> prompts enter
>>>
>>> import os
>>> os.unlink('lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck.last')
>>>
>>> (ignore any non-existant file exception)
>>>
>>> os.link('lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck',
>>> 'lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck.last')
>>>
>>> You can enter that all on one line, or you can enter
>>>
>>> os.link('lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck',
>>>
>>> which will result in a ... prompt to which you enter
>>>
>>> 'lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck.last')
>>>
>>> If that works, the question is why can you do it as mailman, but the
>>> qrunners can't? Did you start Mailman by running bin/mailmanctl
>>> start as
>>> root? If not, stop Mailman and then start is as root.
>>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> First that option gave me an error as the file config.pck was owned
>> by www I changed it to root:mailman still gave me a perm error so I
>> changed it to mailmail:mailman and it worked.
>>
>> Did the bin/withlist -i and it did the os.unlink and os.link commands
>> without issue.
>>
>> After changing the perms I see that it now works without issue. Guess
>> my webpanel is the culprit. I will see if I can try and inform the
>> developers of this so I don't have to be changing the perms to make
>> mailman work.
>>
>> Thank you Mark for pointing these thing out to me :)
>>
>> Chris
>>

> Hello,
>
> Now when I try to go to the admin section of the webui for the mailing
> I get the bug page. Which is easily fixed by changing the owner from
> mailman to www.
>
> I tried adding mailman to group www but that doesn't seem to work.
>
> Chris

I recompiled mailman with the cgi_gid changed to mailman and the apache
config to be changed as AssignUserID mailman mailman and now I don't get
the bug page and all is well.  I will continue to monitor the mailman
services too see if any more perm issues arise before I create
production mailing lists.

I am not sure if this is the proper way to run mailman but it seems to
work, since the web panel is always open to issues and bug reports which
is awesome it is not that hard to explain to them the issue and have
them fix it.  Seems rather obvious mailman creates files as user mailman
but editing the files in a web browser creates the files as the running
user of the web server IE: www if I am not mistaken using the itk patch
will allow the web server to create/edit files as the user set in the
AssignUSerID directive in apache.

Thank you for the help