[Mailman-Users] Issues with mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 15 23:37:50 CET 2011

On 11/15/2011 8:48 AM, Chris Petrik wrote:

> % cd lists/services-officialunix.com
> %ls -l |wc -l
>        8
> %
> %ls -l
> total 24
> -rw-rw----  1 www      mailman  3792 Nov 15 07:35 config.pck
> -rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman  3792 Nov 15 08:03
> config.pck.tmp.hosting.officialunix.com.30747
> -rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman  3835 Nov 15 08:00
> config.pck.tmp.hosting.officialunix.com.74443
> -rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman  3792 Nov 15 07:48
> config.pck.tmp.hosting.officialunix.com.74445
> -rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman  3792 Nov 15 08:00
> config.pck.tmp.hosting.officialunix.com.74446
> -rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman   131 Nov 15 07:37 pending.pck
> -rw-rw-r--  1 mailman  mailman   599 Nov 15 07:37 request.pck
> %ln config.pck.tmp.hosting.officialunix.com.74446 config.pck.last
> %ls
> config.pck
> config.pck.last

Actually, I gave you the wrong advice. The ln command should have been

ln config.pck config.pck.last

If that works, instead of trying this via the ln command, you could try
it in a python process. Again as user mailman in mailman's home directory do

bin/withlist -i

This will respond with a few lines followed by a >>> prompt. At the
prompts enter

import os
os.unlink('lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck.last')

(ignore any non-existant file exception)

os.link('lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck',
'lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck.last')

You can enter that all on one line, or you can enter

os.link('lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck',

which will result in a ... prompt to which you enter

'lists/services-officialunix.com/config.pck.last')

If that works, the question is why can you do it as mailman, but the
qrunners can't? Did you start Mailman by running bin/mailmanctl start as
root? If not, stop Mailman and then start is as root.