[Mailman-Users] Sibling lists and list unsubscribe headers

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Nov 9 18:40:14 CET 2011

Tim wrote:

>Here is my setup:
>
>3 lists - parentList, siblingList1, siblingList2
>
>siblingList1 and siblingList2 are set in regular_include_lists for
>parentList.
>
>user at domain.com is in lists siblingList1 and siblingList2
>
>Everything is working perfectly as expected except for the list
>unsubscribe headers which refer to parentList.

subscribed to parentList, and secondly, unless messages are sent to
siblingList1 and siblingList2 (which is infrequent), the user will
never
be given the opportunity to unsubscribe.

If posts to the individual sub-lists are infrequent, you could just
have a single list and let those members of only one list receive the
infrequent, off-topic posts.

>Is there anything I can do to make the headers etc match a list that
>user at domain.com is actually subscribed to?

Not with regular_include_lists used in this way.

You could set up your parent list as an umbrella list with the other
lists as members, but then you have the problem of duplicate messages
to people who are members of both sub-lists which is presumably what
you are trying to avoid by using sibling lists.

You could consider one of the other duplicate avoidance methods from
the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/TIA9> (I just added a note to that
FAQ about this issue).