[Mailman-Users] Implicit Address rehash

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Nov 1 12:10:31 CET 2011

On 10/31/2011 4:16 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 10/31/2011 1:03 PM, Steve Campbell wrote:
>> I looked at these in the admin interface, and didn't see a specific "To"
>> line, so I thought it must be looking at the envelope.
>
> MTAs, etc. look at the envelope for delivery information, but Mailman
> looks at the To: and Cc: headers to determine if the list is explicitly
> addressed.
>

>> The Message Headers has the following in it:

>>      by xxxxxxxx.cnpapers.net (8.12.11.20060308/8.12.11) with ESMTP id
>> p9VIp1Fr020768
>>      for<cn-dailydeals at xxxxxxx.cnpapers.net>; Mon, 31 Oct 2011
>> 14:51:01 -0400
>>
>> I x'ed out a little to try and keep spam away, although that's almost
>> impossible in today's world. There is a "for" address in the header line.
>
> Which is a reflection of the envelope recipient, but Mailman is not
> considering that at this point. The envelope must have been addressed to
> the list or the post wouldn't be there at all. Mailman is verifying that
> the list or an acceptable alias is explicitly addressed in a To: or Cc:
> header which is not true in this case.
>

>> There's an earlier line in the headers where the address appears proper,
>> though still not a real "To", but another "for" line.
>>
>> The To line in my MailWatch headers shows a normal To address.
>
> That too is the envelope recipient.
>
> You have two choices. Make the PHP script put the list address in a To:
> header in the mail or turn off the list's require_explicit_destination.

Thanks Mark,

I'll talk to the script writer and see if he can modify his code. I
turned off the require_explicit_destination before I left yesterday to
get it fudged and working.

Another lesson learned: There's not always a "To:" in the headers.

I originally thought the moderation notification was telling me what the
implicit address was that needed to be aliased. It's no wonder I
couldn't find a proper regexp to match.

steve campbell