[Mailman-Users] Real Names on Roster

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 24 01:52:32 CEST 2011

Brian Carpenter wrote:

>I think the problem is we are using 2.1.14 and not 2.2 which has not
>been released yet.
[...]
>On 5/23/2011 4:21 PM, Geoff Shang wrote:
>>
>> IIRC, this shows up for me, but only if the person subscribed via
>> Email which of course sends the name along with the Email address in
>> the From line.  Whether or not it will also allow you to add real
>> names if you add users as "Firstname Lastname <address at example.com" in
>> the various add member screens, I don't know.

You can mass subscribe members with real names. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/YoA9>.

Also, members can provide a real name when subscribing from the web.

Brian's issue is he want's to see the real name in the 'roster', not
just in the admin membership list.

This was implemented for Mailman 2.2, but that will not be officially
released (see
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2009-November/020858.html>).

The display of real name in the roster can be added to Mailman 2.1 by
adding three lines to Mailman/HTMLFormatter.py as indicated in the
change at
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.2/revision/1034>.