[Mailman-Users] Postfix & Mailman not playing well together

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 23 21:39:37 CEST 2011

Michael Soh wrote:

>On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>
>> This is documented in Defaults.py in the paragraphs immediately
>> preceding the definitions of DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.
>>

>I was just following the directions on the website, specifically:
>http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html

add_virtualhost is not mentioned in the postfix section because it's
not a postfix related setting per se.

Section 7 Review your site defaults urges you to read Defaults.py

>> >add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>> >
>> >I'm assuming then I'll have to add the following lines:
>> >add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, 'mikesoh.com')
>> >add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, 'linuslive.com')
>>

>> No. The url hosts in add_virtualhost directives must be unique.
>> Otherwise each just replaces the prior one.
>>
>> If you aren't going to create lists via the web and are going to create
>> all lists via bin/newlist with the same (default) url host and the -e
>> option for specifying email host (or setting the email host via the
>> list's host_name in the web admin GUI). You don't need add_virtualhost
>> directives.
>>

>This is what I would like to do.  I'm a command-line person myself.  And
>since I'd have to run postfix reload after creating the aliases anyway, it
>makes more sense for me to run it via command-line.

You don't have to reload Postfix after changing aliases and/or
virtual-mailman. The commands defined in POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD and
POSTFIX_MAP_CMD are run automatically and update the .db files and
Postfix will notice they've changed.

>> If you have multiple web domains and want to keep them separate, you
>> need add_virtualhost('web_host_for_this_email_domain', 'email_domain')
>> for each domain.
>>

>I didn't put in add_virtualhost() in the Defaults.py or mm_cfg.py and still
>having mail bouncing saying that the alias couldn't be found.

What's in the postfix log?

>If worse comes to worse, I can just host all of my mailman lists on the
>lists.mikesoh.com subdomain but would like to be able to use all of my
>domains to create mailing lists.

Do all your  email domains use the same web domain?

Do you care if list mail from the list at example.net list refers to the
example.com domain in web URLs?