[Mailman-Users] Detecting mail with multiple From: lines

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon May 23 17:06:30 CEST 2011

On May 23, 2011, at 10:57 AM, Jay A. Sekora wrote:

>However, that means that as more spammers use this technique, either
>sites are going to have to start blocking mail with multiple From:
>addresses at SMTP time -- and I discovered to my surprise that we *do*
>have legitimate senders using that feature -- or Mailman's sender
>filters are going to become somewhat less useful.

What's the legitimate use case for multiple From headers?

In MM2 it's somewhat configurable -- I just worked with someone who wanted to
remove looking at the Reply-To header -- but yes, it's not as easily
configurable as you might like (well, without modifying the source).  I'd like
to make this easier to configure in Mailman 3, but I want to understand the
use cases first.

-Barry