[Mailman-Users] Monthly Reminder Problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 10 17:56:55 CEST 2011

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>Thanks for the help. Should we take this off list, since this seems
>unique, or do you think the list would be interested?

It seems most of this thread was off list until now.

>On 5/10/2011 9:15 AM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
>> * Dennis Putnam <dap1 at bellsouth.net>:
>>> I have gotten some feedback from my list members. It seems no one got
>>> the message although the log shows they all were accepted by my ISP. I'm
>>> stuck.
>> So you'll have to got the bcc route and find out WHAT PHRASE EXACTLY
>> causes the mail to be stuck.
>>
>> I can help, since I find this highly interesting :)

As I understand it, Mailman delivers outgoing mail via a local Postfix
which in turn relays all mail through your own ISP
(mail.bellsouth.net). The problem you see is that monthly password
reminders, and only monthly password reminders get discarded somewhere
between mail.bellsouth.net and the recipients.

There are two things unique about password reminders:

1) They are sent from the 'mailman' site list and thus have envelope
from mailman-bounces at ... Most other mail is from a non-site list and
has envelope from listname-bounces where listname is not mailman. You
mentioned in your first post that mailman-bounces doesn't exist. Why
not? 'mailman is a list and has a full set of 10 mailman*@...
addresses just like any other list. These should all be deliverable.

2) They are ubiquitous - so much so that in some circles, the first of
the month is known as "Mailman day". This can cause some spam filters
to flag reminders as spam.