[Mailman-Users] Getting Spam from Banned Address

Henry Hartley henry at dotrose.com
Tue May 3 15:11:53 CEST 2011

On 5/3/2011 1:17 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> 菊地時夫 writes:
>
>   >  No.  He put the address in discard_these_nonmembers on the
>   >  private/sender page but not have mentioned the private/spam settings.
>   >
>   >  I believe if you set the spam address in header_filter_rules of
>   >  privacy/spam page, the message should be discarded even if other
>   >  legitimate addresses are listed in from header.
>
> Ah, OK.  He still should consider setting it to 'hold' for a trial
> period; the risk of accidentally discarding a real post is pretty high
> here IMO.  But that's something he can judge better than we can.

Yes, putting a regular expression in header_filter_rules seems like a
good solution. As Mr. Turnbull suggests, I set that rule to Hold for
now, to see if it catches anything unintended. But this has the
advantage of being list specific, rather than affecting all lists. Any
mail that has the non-allowed address anywhere in the from field should
be deleted. The user has said that he does not (ever) send mail from
that address so it should not be a problem. Thanks, both of you, for
your help.

I suppose I should have said, this is mailman 2.1.9 on CentOS 5.

--
Henry