[Mailman-Users] Monthly Reminder Question

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 22 03:00:09 CET 2011

On 3/21/2011 8:38 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 3/21/2011 6:20 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
>> On 3/20/2011 10:16 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>> If the site list is missing, it writes a message to stderr and logs it
>>> to Mailman's 'error' log. If a member doesn't have a password, it logs
>>> that to Mailman's 'error' log.
>> Its empty.
>>> If any uncaught exceptions occur, it writes a traceback to stderr.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, it is silent.
>> It was silent.
>>> It will not mail any reminders at all for a list if the list's General
>>> Options -> send_reminders is No. It will not mail to a user whose "Get
>>> password reminder email for this list?" option is no.
>> Both are set to yes.
>>> Otherwise, it will generate the mail and queue it in the virgin queue,
>>> and if VirginRunner, IncomingRunner and OutgoingRunner are all running
>>> and there is no error (logged in Mailman's error log) the mail will be sent.
>>>
>> They are all running.
>
> Just to be sure, check qfiles/virgin/ for any message entries (.pck files).
That directory is empty.
> Also check Mailman's smtp log for the time you ran cron/mailpasswds.
> There should be an "smtp to mailman for 1 recips" entry for each
> reminder sent.
Yes, its there.
>  If there aren't any, check the smtp-failure log. If there
> are smtp log entries, check the MTA logs.
The only SMTP log that has anything in it is the info log (error and
warning are both empty). I guess that makes sense when everything is
working, Postfix-wise. However, I think I see the message, if it is from
listname-bounces. The problem is, I don't see who it is to (I think I
may have the Postfix logging set wrong) so I don't know for sure if it
really is the message and there is no indication it was sent, just removed.
> Also, check the spam/junk folders of the recipients.

That is always the first place I check for missing email.