[Mailman-Users] Bounce Question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 15 22:18:25 CET 2011

Jeff Grossman wrote:

>Are you sure about the 1.0 and 0.5 score based on soft and hard failure?
>I think Mark has said previously that a soft and hard bounce both get
>scored as 1.0.

The documentation on the Bounce processing page talks about the 0.5 and
1.0 score for a soft or hard bounce, but that's wrong (I really should
change it, but doing so breaks every i18n translation rendering the
entire documentation section of the page in English regardless of the
list's language, so I don't).

A "soft" bounce is scored as either 0 or 1 depending on what you
consider a soft bounce. E.g., a 'delay' DSN is ignored (scored as 0),
but a message which is undeliverable due to a full mailbox is probably
scored as 1. It actually depends on the format of the DSN returned,
but any RFC 3464 compliant DSN with a 'failed' action is scored as 1.