[Mailman-Users] Explicit destination causes implicitdestination bounce

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Fri Mar 11 19:26:29 CET 2011

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Larry's response is correct except for this one detail. Actually, this
> message has a Subject: header and a non-conformant "This" header and
> no body. The body must be separated from the headers by an empty line.

Oops. I looked at the original way too quickly. Thanks, Mark, for
correcting my post. The lesson in this is that SMTP, like almost all
computer command sets, is very intolerant of even the slightest mistake.
It does exactly what you tell it to do and has no idea what you meant when
you get it wrong. Using Telnet to test SMTP has its uses (I do it to make
sure the anti-spam controls on the commands works since that's hard to do
by other means) but unless you are prepared to type everything in painful
detail, expect weird results. Mailman is best tested with real messages
sent by a proper MUA.

-- Larry Stone
    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com