[Mailman-Users] Questions about current/future functionality

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu Mar 10 12:55:11 CET 2011

Hello,

There is currently another (this is probably the 3rd or 4th) discussion
going on right now on the tdf-discuss list (tdf = The Document
Foundation, which is hosting all of the libreoffice lists) about issues
with their list infrastructure...

They are currently using mlmmj, and have said there were very specific
reasons they decided not to use mailman, namely:

1. The problem with virtual hosting and lists with the same name for
different vhosts.

This is one of their biggest reasons. I know this will be properly
addressed in MM3, but that is of course not an option now (how close it
is, really, to release stage? Months? A year or more?).

I guess my main question is, is there a decent page I can point their
developers to as to how to make this work? Iirc, there are two different
ways to accomplish this, but they dismissed the idea of having 20 or 30
multiple instances of mailman...

2. Multiple moderators all sharing the same password.

Is it possible for each mod to have a different password? If not, isn't
this a security issue if you decide to boot a moderator? If not, why not?

3. Moderation via email is impossible or difficult.

This is their second biggest reason to not use mailman. Is there a web
page/FAQ that describes how to do this? Is it really that difficult
(I've never used the email moderator interface).

The reason this is such a big deal is they allow posts from
non-subscribers, all of which must be moderated.

Also, it would be nice to be able to add a [Moderated] tag to the
subject if possible, and possibly even inject some bracketed text into
the message body at the top.

Thanks for any comments/pointers...

Charles