[Mailman-Users] Copying rejection reason and email to multiple moderators?

Jay A. Sekora jsekora at csail.mit.edu
Sun Mar 6 21:21:52 CET 2011

On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 17:32 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
> > One way to do this would be if the 'forward' box is checked and the
> > action is 'reject' the forwarded message would be a multipart/mixed
> > message with a text/plain part containing the reject reason and a
> > message/rfc822 part containing the original post instead of a
> > message/rfc822 message containing just the original post.

> I'm still interested in knowing if this would cause problems for anyone,
> but I have developed a patch to the 2.1.14 base Mailman/ListAdmin.py to
> implement the above. The patch is attached as forward.patch.txt.

That's great for rejected messages, but I personally would find this
feature most useful for rejected subscription attempts.  (I run a list
where we trade email back and forth with potential subscribers before
approving their request; the most frequent reason for rejecting a
subscription request is that the prospective subscriber never replies to
our mail.)  And given that, I think it would be most intuitive to have a
"send a copy of this rejection message to list owners and moderators"
checkbox both on the general moderation pages where members are rejected
and on the message detail pages where list postings can be rejected with
an explanation.  (In order to save vertical space and decrease
repetitive clicking, perhaps it would be best to have one checkbox per
page.  You could still forward the rejection explanations for some
membership requests and not forward the rejection explanations for
others by doing them in two batches.)

Sorry for not getting this comment in earlier!  And in any case, thanks
for the patch!

Jay