[Mailman-Users] bilingual list problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Mar 2 20:14:17 CET 2011

Christian Mack wrote:

>Beware:
>If you use utf-8, you have to change all english templates to contain
>the Unicode BOM-Bytes at the beginning.

Why would this be true? Quoting from section 2.6 of the Unicode 5.0
standard
<http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch02.pdf#G19273>:

  Use of a BOM is neither required nor recommended for UTF-8, but may
  be encountered in contexts where UTF-8 data is converted from other
  encoding forms that use a BOM or where the BOM is used as a UTF-8
  signature.

I would expect that one would only choose utf-8 as the character set
for english in an environment where the web server's default character
set is utf-8, and emails built from .txt templates will have a
why the BOM would ever be needed.