[Mailman-Users] Server Configuration..

Stefan Foerster cite at incertum.net
Sun Jun 26 01:17:17 CEST 2011

* Khalil Abbas <khillo100 at hotmail.com>:
> well I bought this server:
>
> RAM 1x 4 GB DDR2-RAM ECC
> HDD 2x 500 GB SATA II-HDD 7.200 rpm
> Barebone 1x Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S5
> CPU 1x Intel Xeon X3320 Quadcore
>
> I did set the SMTP_MAX_RCPT to 5 .. then I created a list of 10,000
> members, n it delivered them in like 5-6 minutes ..

This should probably be handled on the postfix-users list (or perhaphs
I should ninja-CC Ralf... good idea!), but with the above hardware,
even considering that the disks are rather low end, you really
shouldn't have to limit the recipients per mail transaction or
throttle the injection rate.

I'd predict that delivery of a message to a large number of recipients
will even be faster if there are _more_ recipients per message.

Go with SMTP_MAX_RCPT=1000 in Mailman but limit the number of Postfix
processes, start with 20 (postconf -e default_process_limit=20 &&
postfix reload), see how that works out for you and increase the
default_process_limit if it works well until performance gets worse.

Any Postfix people care to comment?

Cheers
Stefan