[Mailman-Users] Server Configuration..

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jun 25 21:40:12 CEST 2011

Khalil Abbas wrote:

>SMTP_MAX_RCPTS =5 WOULD BE OK? OR SHOULD I REDUCE OR INCREASE IT FOR HOTMAIL
>AND YAHOO TO ACCEPT OUR MESSAGES?

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

I have no real information as to why Hotmail and Yahoo were not
accepting your mail, but apparently at one point I thought that
reducing the number of Hotmail and/or Yahoo envelope recipients in a
single message transaction might help and apparently, it did.
Presumably, nothing at Hotmail and Yahoo has changed, so I wouldn't
advise changing SMTP_MAX_RCPTS.

What I would advise is before changing other things including hardware,
that you try the Postfix changes recommended to you at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2011-June/071671.html>
which you apparently never tried or at least never reported trying,
and if that doesn't solve the problem completely, that you try the
patch in the attached throttle.patch.txt file. The settings in this
patch will limit Mailman to send to 2000 recipients per minute which
will spread your 2+ million recipients over about 17 hours and will be
as effective as making many small lists.

Note that contrary to your assertion at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2011-June/071720.html>
that the patch is "not stable and not tested before", I never said it
was not tested. The FAQ says it "has been only minimally tested and is
not guaranteed to work". What that means is it hasn't seen significant
use and it may not solve your problem, but it is almost certainly more
stable than rebooting the server every hour.

And if you do try it and it does work, we can remove the caveats, and
if it doesn't solve th problem, at least we'll know that.

Free, open source software is a community effort, not a one-way street.