[Mailman-Users] Public to Private

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 22 16:47:46 CEST 2011

Odhiambo Washington wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 04:49, David Andrews <dandrews at visi.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a list that had an archive, which was public.  I need to change it
>> to private.  Is there anything I have to do besides changing the setting
>> under archives / ?
>>

>I think changing that still leaves the actual archives to be "public"
>(mailmain/archives/public/LISTNAME).
>As such I think you also need to regenerate the archives using bin/arch
>--wipe LISTNAME.

That is not necessary. The archives are always in archives/private/.
The only thing in archives/public is a symlink from
archives/public/listname to archives/private/listname and a second
symlink from archives/public/listname.mbox to
archives/private/listname.mbox if PUBLIC_MBOX = Yes in mm_cfg.py.
These symlinks are created or removed as an archive is changed from
private to public or vice versa.

If an archive is changed from public to private, the only issue is that
any saved 'pipermail' URLs will no longer work. If it is changed from
private to public, saved 'private' URLs will still work, but will
still require authentication.

Rebuilding the archive with bin/arch --wipe has no effect on any of
this.