[Mailman-Users] some problems about mailman

Li, Jilong (MU-Student) jl482 at mail.mizzou.edu
Tue Jun 14 07:19:13 CEST 2011

Hello,

I installed mailman on my server, but some problems appeared. Could you please help me solve these problems?

mailman version: 2.1.13
operating system: Red hat 4.1.2-50
python version: 2.4.3
gcc version: 4.1.2

problem 1: The requested URL /pipermail/aa/ was not found on this server.

When I click the "aa Archives<http://sysbio.rnet.missouri.edu/pipermail/aa/>", a message "The requested URL /pipermail/aa/ was not found on this server" appears. (aa is a list I created)

I added a few lines in the file "etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf":

Alias /pipermail/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/multicom_toolbox/mailman/archives/public/"
<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin/multicom_toolbox/mailman/archives/public">
  Options FollowSymLinks
  AllowOverride None
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

I also set the directory "$prefix/archives/private":
chown apache private
chmod o-x private

but the file "archives/public/aa/index.html" is 664, not 755. Does this attribute affact archives's work?

problem 2: when I create a list, no email is sent to my mailbox, and no false message appears.

I read the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>. But, I did not find any fault set.

problem 3: I run configure by the user "jl482", and I set the option "--with-mail-gid=jl482". Is that right?

problem 4: Before installing mailman, I set user "jl482" as the owner of mailman. However, I do not know why,

the owner of some files and directories is not jl482, is apache, such as data/virtual-mailman, qfiles, /lists, /archives/private, /archives/public, etc.

Thank you very much!

Victor