[Mailman-Users] sharing userbase with WordPress

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jun 12 18:47:08 CEST 2011

On 6/12/2011 6:59 AM, Adam McGreggor wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 06:43:12AM +0200, Luigi Rosa wrote:
>> Is there a way to share the userbase of Mailman with WordPress?
>
> In-part, I'd suggest...
>
>> What I need is that the "master" database is Mailman and I would like to
>> replicate (also via script) the accounts and passwords to WordPress.
>
> WordPress (WP) users have email addresses. It's relatively trivial to
> extract those addresses, and, say, feed them through to
> sync_members(8)...

I think the OP wants to go the other way.

I'm not sure what's available on the WordPress side, but a Mailman
withlist script (see bin/withlist --help) along the lines of

def get_addr_pw(mlist):
    for member in mlist.getMembers():
        em = mlist.getMemberCPAddresses(member)
        pw = mlist.getMemberPassword(member)
        rn = mlist.getMemberName(member)
        print '"%s" <%s>; %s' % (rn, em, pw)

will print name, address and password in the form

"Joe Cool" <jcool at example.com>; jcpasswd

for each member. If you have (or install) the MySQL-python package, you
could probably update the WordPress user database directly in the same
script.