[Mailman-Users] Filtering by text

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 10 17:20:28 CEST 2011

Geoff Shang wrote:

>I help moderate a few lists where certain topics are not permitted.
>
>I thought it would be possible to flag a message for moderation based on
>text found in the body of the message, but I can't immediately see how one
>might do this.
>
>Presumably the administrivia scan uses a technique like this.
>
>Is it possible to do this in Mailman?

Administrivia looks at the message subject and the first 5 body lines
for certain patterns. The test is a special function
(is_administrivia) defined in Mailman/Utils.py and called from
Mailman/Handlers/Hold.py.

The best way to do this in general is via a custom handler. See
<http://wiki.list.org/x/l4A9>. There is no configuration setting in
standard Mailman to do this.