[Mailman-Users] Continued problems with Mailman on RHEL6.1

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jun 9 07:52:40 CEST 2011

On 6/8/11 6:54 PM, Steven Jones wrote:

> I am trying to create a new list via the mailman web  interface, it
> appears to create a list but inbound emails to the list(s) are
> failing saying, user unknown in local recipient table.

So integration with your MTA is not properly configured or even available.

> I am assuming that the web interface should add the list controls to
> the /etc/aliases file?

Nope. It never does this. If Mailman generates aliases (MTA = 'Postfix'
in mm_cfg.py) it generates them in $var-prefix/data/aliases which in
RedHat may be symlinked or redirected to /etc/mailman/aliases.

> it looks like it isnt... Either that or I
> suspect its meant to add to a file in /etc/mailman/aliases? and
> re-generate a /etc/mailman/aliases.db? and the above path should be
> in main.cf? so its found?

Yes.

> However mailman is meant to work, it obviously isnt....or do I have
> it wrong?

This list is not the appropriate place for your RedHat packaging issues.

See the installation manual section at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-integration.html> for the
standard GNU Mailman/Postfix integration, and see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/KYCB> for RedHat file mappings.

San Francisco Bay Area, California    Better use your sense - B. Dylan