[Mailman-Users] reboot servers

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Fri Jun 3 19:16:36 CEST 2011

On 6/3/2011 9:10 AM, Khalil Abbas wrote:

> I don't want to use the throttling patch as it's not stable and not tested
> before .. so I have 2 ways, either rebooting the servers like I'm doing now,
> or splitting the lists into smaller ones and send to bunch of small lists
> every our ..
>
> what do u think?
(Did you mean "you"?)

Not to be harsh, but that you're not looking in the right direction. Yes,
splitting the lists -might- help, but then might not. You'll also loose some
advantages of one list, such as grouping recipients on the same domain into
fewer SMTP transactions, and list maintenance will become more of a hassle.
  Restarting the processes, or, gasp, rebooting the server does not solve
the problem, it makes it go away for a while. It's not a valid -solution-.

And, you -do- have other ways to analyze and solve the problem but seem
reluctant to do that. Other people have provided good suggestions (more RAM
or CPU, remove other processes that may be hogging the system, get off a VM
if that's what you're using, etc). You can use thing like 'top' to see where
the resources are going. If mailman needs 500mb of virtual memory and takes
a long time to deliver that list, everything will fall over when the next
list starts trying. Eventually, the system will spend more time paging than
running code.

FWIW, my mail server has been up for 436 days and has only 64mb of ram :).
Granted it doesn't try to run a 30k member list. I'd use a larger server for
that.

Have you read:
http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Mailman+Performance+Tuning+for+Mail+Delivery ?
http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030582