[Mailman-Users] Problem with Mailman+Postfix

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 22 20:41:44 CEST 2011

On 7/22/2011 4:32 AM, gigahertz at fettabernett.de wrote:
> Hi there.
> I´m using Postfix + Dovevot + Mailman on Debian Lenny with ISPConfig3
> Setup.
> I´ve installed Mailman seperate from ISPConfig via apt-get,
> administrating lists works fine but there is one problem: Postfix does
> not accept incoming mails to the mailing list.
>
> mail.info:
> Jul 22 10:53:13 atom-29 postfix/smtpd[12620]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
> mailout-de.gmx.net[213.165.64.22]: 550 5.1.1 <test at xyz.net>: Recipient
> address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table;
> from=<abc at gmx.de> to=<test at xyz.net> proto=SMTP helo=<mailout-de.gmx.net>
>
> main.cf of Postfix:
[...]
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
[...]
> virtual_alias_domains =
> virtual_alias_maps =
> proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf,
> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_email2email.cf
> virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf
> virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailboxes.cf
[...]
> What am I doing wrong?

'postconf -n' is generally more useful than main.cf.

It appears the problem is that your list domain is a virtual mailbox
domain, but you have no virtual mapping for the list addresses.

If that is indeed the problem, you need to add
hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman to virtual_alias_maps in
main.cf. You also need to put your list domaian (xyz.net) in
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS in mm_cfg.py as in

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['xyz.net']

and run Mailman's bin/genaliases to generate virtual-mailman.

Also, you should not have hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases because it
will cause Postfix's newaliases command to rebuild
hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db which may adversely affect the
owner:group of this file.