[Mailman-Users] Odd Subscriptions

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jul 17 23:25:26 CEST 2011

David Andrews wrote:

>Is there any reason
>to not let them do this?

I think they are unscrupulous. I think that no one should archive any
list without an affirmative opt-in request from the list owner.
Further, my lists which answerpot has attempted to archive all have
private archives. For someone to attempt to subscribe to such a list
for the purpose of publicly archiving list posts is just plain wrong.

>My sponsoring organization is involved in a
>lot of public education kinds of things, and want to get the word
>out.  Is there a negative, or spam risk, or something to letting them
>archive?

You'd have to look at their existing archives and decide for yourself.
It appears that they hide email addresses, but I don't know how
thoroughly.

The main thing for me is I consider them to be unscrupulous for not
requiring positive opt-in and for attempting to archive lists whose
archives are not public. I would not want to support their practices
and their ad revenue with my list's content, even if that content were
otherwise publicly archived..

>And ... finally, why do they need multiple subscribes to
>the same list?

Who knows? Maybe to increase the chances that at least one of the
subscribe attempts will succeed.