[Mailman-Users] Message approval by mail

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 15 18:19:52 CEST 2011

Rob wrote:

>I am trying to use the option to approve moderated messages using the 'reply' feature but it doesn't seem to work for me. I add the Approved:<password> header to my reply as the first line in the body, but the message simply arrives back in my inbox unmodified, and the moderated message stays in the queue until I approve it with the web interface. Running v2.1.14
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Rob
>
>An example of an outgoing 'approval' message is below:

>Subject: Xservetestlist post from mclear at petrad.com requires approval
>From: "Robert C. McLear, ACVR Treasurer" <treasurer at acvr.org>
>Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:03:45 -0400
>To: xservetestlist-owner at acvr.org
>Sender: mailman-bounces at acvr.org
>
>Approved:********

Your problem is you are replying to the held message notice itself so
your reply is sent to xservetestlist-owner at acvr.org with Subject:
Xservetestlist post from mclear at petrad.com requires approval. That
reply is just sent back to the list owner.

The message to which you replied is a multipart message with 3 parts.
The part below is an attached message/rfc822 part.

>> From: xservetestlist-request at acvr.org
>> Date: July 15, 2011 10:02:09 AM EDT
>> Subject: confirm dda15190a0e5ffa59d0894b92f7a9efface6b70b
>>

>> If you reply to this message, keeping the Subject: header intact,
>> Mailman will discard the held message.  Do this if the message is
>> spam.  If you reply to this message and include an Approved: header
>> with the list password in it, the message will be approved for posting
>> to the list.  The Approved: header can also appear in the first line
>> of the body of the reply.

You need to reply to the above attached message. Depending on your MUA,
you may be able to open this as a separate message and reply to it. If
you can't do this, you have to just compose a message