[Mailman-Users] Rerouting "announce" replies to "talk" automatically

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jul 10 03:35:21 CEST 2011

Ken Winter wrote:

>1.      "first_strip_reply_to": Yes
>
>2.      "reply_goes_to_list": Explicit address
>
>3.      "reply_to_address": talk at my.group
>
>4.      "include_list_post_header": No
>
>Everything works fine, except when the recipient of an announce message hits
>reply-to-all.  Then the "To:" line of the mail client is populated as
>talk at my.group; announce at my.group.  So the reply goes back to the "announce"
>list as well as to "talk".  Is there any way to set up the "announce" list
>so that reply-to-all does not include announce at my.group, or is that purely
>controlled by the mail client?  (List members are not techies, and I have no
>control over the type and settings of the email clients they use.)

Your settings are pretty much the best you can do. The explicit
will generally include the To: which is the announce list, and may
even, depending on the mail client, include the From:

>If I can't stop the reply-to-all from going back to "announce", is there any
>way to set up "announce" so it recognizes these replies and automatically
>discards them?  (It will not work to just reject emails from list members,
>since all of them are authorized to send messages to the list.)

Yes. On the announce list, set up a Privacy options... -> Spam filters
-> header_filter_rules rule with an action of Discard and the
following regexp

^(To:|Cc:).*[ <]talk at my\.group([, >]|$)

This will match any To: or Cc: header containing the talk at my.group
address and will thus discard any post received by the announce list
that was also addressed to the talk list.