[Mailman-Users] mails to lists are passed erroneously to cyrus

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 7 17:07:12 CEST 2011

My earlier reply may have been a bit hasty, and I'm not sure if Glen
Prideaux's reply has the correct reason or not (I have tried sending a
test mail, but so far, mail.schwach.de has not accepted my server's
connection.

Anyway, if Glen is correct, you not only need v at schwach.de to be
deliverable at mail.schwach.de, but also addresses like
v-bounces at schwach.de, v-confirm at schwach.de, v-request at schwach.de,
v-owner at schwach.de, etc.

In any case, there are problems with your postfix setup and I want some
information.

Egon Frerich wrote:

> My Postfix is on an host without a real Internet hostname. So the domain
> name in my main.cf is a fake:
>
> myhostname = Cup.freu.ih
> mydestination = Cup, $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, localhost
>
> Mailman-lists are managed with a real domain name. In main.cf I say:
>
> virtual_alias_domains = schwach.de
> virtual_alias_maps = hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

The above two lines are irrelevant.

> mailman_destination_recipient_limit = 1
>
> I put 'virtual-mailman' into alias_maps too:
>
> alias_maps = hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman, hash:/etc/aliases

Fortunately, this too is irrelevant because it is wrong. I would like to
know why you did this because I have seen at least two other recent
reports on this list of this being done, and if there is some
documentation that says to do it, I'd like to see it corrected.

What should be in alias_maps is hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases, but
not in your case because ...

> transport contains:
>
> schwach.de mailman:
>
> In master.cf there is an entry:
>
> mailman   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=FR user=list argv=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py
>   ${nexthop} ${user}

You are using postfix-to-mailman.py to deliver all mail to the
schwach.de domain to Mailman so the alias_maps, virtual_alias_maps and
virtual_alias_domains entries for this domain are not required or used.

> The list is called 'v'.
>
> If I send a mail to v@ via my local email account mailman
> delivers the mail to the list members.
>
> But if I send this mail via an external email account then the mail is
> handled by cyrus and I get this message:
>
> verify_user(user.fetchmail) failed: Mailbox does not exist
>
> Why is the email handled by cyrus?

It looks to me, based on your followup clarification and the above that
fetchmail retrieves the mail from mail.schwach.de and delivers it, to
your local Postfix, but it first does user verification of some kind
which fails.