[Mailman-Users] postfix-to-mailman.py => mail loops back to myself

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 26 17:19:01 CET 2011

Russell L. Carter wrote:

>I've spent the afternoon attempting to install mailman on debian
>testing with postfix, following the instructions in
>/etc/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py precisely, and I'm getting the
>classic 'mail for "host" loops back to myself'.  From my getting to
>know the issue sessions with google there appear to be a variety of
>ways this can show up.  Anyway I've checked permissions, am able to
>create lists and add users with confirmation, etc.  But sending from
>the user to the list bounces with postfix complaining 'loops back to
>myself'.
>
>Q1: I was not previously using postfix virtual domains as described in
>www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html, should I be?

No. This is irrelevant. You should have a transport mapping that says
to use a defined 'mailman' transport for addresses in your lists
domain.

>If so I'll go off
>and try to figure out how the information in there is related to the
>instructions in /etc/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py.  However, AFAICT,
>the two sources appear to have zero intersection even though the
>concepts are of course are quite similar.
>
>If the answer to Q1 is "no", the only change to my existing system
>was to add a CNAME 'lists.pinyon.org' pointing to 'quine.pinyon.org'.
>Here is the relevant part of of my long time working main.cf, with the
>mailman modifications (all checked, many times):

You must not use a CNAME for a mail domain. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/uYA9>. This must be an MX, not a CNAME.

>myhostname = quine.pinyon.org
>mydomain = pinyon.org
>
>myorigin = $mydomain
>
>mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain,
>	mail.$mydomain, www.$mydomain, ftp.$mydomain troupesalamat.com
>
>masquerade_domains = pinyon.org
>
>relay_domains = lists.pinyon.org $mydestination esturion.net troupesalamat.com
>relay_recipient_maps = hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
>transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
>mailman_destination_recipient_limit = 1
>
>I've tried quite a few permutations of ordering, etc., but no luck.
>
>Q2:  Any idea what might be the problem?

If you have an entry like

lists.pinyon.org   mailman:

in /etc/postfix/transport, and you have a definition like

mailman unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=FR user=mailman:mailman
  argv=/var/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py ${nexthop} ${user}

in master.cf, and you have an MX rather than a CNAME for
lists.pinyon.org, it should work.