[Mailman-Users] Content Filtering

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 17 18:19:11 CET 2011

Ruth Indeck wrote:

>Question: Why doesn't Mailman convert the html to plaintext on its own?
>
>The intro to Content Management says:
>
>Finally, any text/html parts that are left in the message may be converted to text/plain if convert_html_to_plaintext <https://lists.mayfirst.org/mailman/admin/peoplesvoicecafe/contentfilter?VARHELP=contentfilter/convert_html_to_plaintext> is enabled and the site is configured to allow these conversions.
>
>I have "convert to text/plain" enabled.

There are no HTML parts left after filtering because text/html is not
in pass_mime_types.

>What does the second part mean? How do you configure your site to allow these conversions? Is it something a regular administrator could do, or is it something that the host site of my Mailman list has to do?

It means the HTML to plain text conversion is done by a command set by
the Mailman site administrator. The default command is

HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND = '/usr/bin/lynx -dump %(filename)s'

which may not work on all systems.