[Mailman-Users] {Disarmed} Re: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 12 02:32:49 CET 2011

Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

># postconf -n
>alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
>alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

Good.

[...]
>mydestination = $myhostname, localhost, localhost.localdomain,
>localhost.$myhostname
>mydomain = mydomain.my
>myhostname = mail-server.mydomain.my

So mail-server.mydomain.my is in mydestination and is thus a postfix
local domain, yet it seems to use the dovecot LDA rather than Postfix
local delivery.

[...]
>relay_domains = $mydestination, proxy:ldap:/etc/postfix/
>ldap_relay_domains.cf
>relay_recipient_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/
>mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf

But here, $mydestination is a relay domain so possibly
relay_recipient_maps is overriding transport_maps and that is why list
addresses are relayed to dovecot rather than local

[...]
>transport_maps = proxy:ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap_transport_maps_user.cf,
>proxy:ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap_transport_maps_domain.cf,
>hash:/etc/mailman/transport-mailman

OK

># ls -l /etc/mailman/
>total 220
>-rw-r----- 1 root mailman    41 Dec  8 18:25 adm.pw
>-rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 33942 Jan  3 16:55 aliases
>-rw-r----- 1 root mailman 77824 Jan  3 16:55 aliases.db
>-rw-r----- 1 root mailman    41 Dec  8 18:26 creator.pw
>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root mailman    34 Dec  8 18:12 mm_cfg.py ->
>/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
>-rw-r--r-- 1 root mailman 14114 Jan 23  2008 sitelist.cfg
>-rw-rw-r-- 1 root mailman 24376 Jan  3 16:55 transport-mailman
>-rw-r--r-- 1 root mailman 45056 Jan  3 16:55 transport-mailman.db
>-rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 28283 Jan  3 16:55 virtual-mailman
>-rwxr-x--- 1 root mailman   141 Jan  3 16:48 virtual_to_transport

OK

># cat /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py
># -*- python -*-
[...]
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS   = ['mail-server.mydomain.my']

Good.

[...]
>#DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = fqdn
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = "mail-server.mydomain.my"
>#DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = fqdn
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = "mail-server.mydomain.my"
>#VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

Better to uncomment the above
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
but it doesn't affect this issue.

># Because we've overriden the virtual hosts above add_virtualhost
># MUST be called after they have been defined.
>
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST, )

Good.

[...]
>MTA = 'Postfix'
>POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/etc/mailman/virtual_to_transport'

Good.

This all looks good except the Postfix things I noted above. The
hash:/etc/mailman/transport-mailman entry in transport_maps should
specify the 'local' transport for the list addresses, but somehow this
is overriden, possibly by relay_recipient_maps, and the dovecot LDA is
used for these addresses. This is why it doesn't work. Exactly what to
do to fix it is beyond my Postfix expertise. It seems to me that
transport_maps should take priority in defining the transport used for
a matching address.

Have you redefined the 'local' transport in master.cf to use dovecot?
If so, this can't work with Mailman. If so, you could define another
transport, say 'reallylocal' to use postfix local delivery, and modify
the sed command in /etc/mailman/virtual_to_transport to specify that
transport.