[Mailman-Users] Custom message or addition to "Your message to{list} awaits moderator approval" message

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 5 00:18:56 CET 2011

Anne M. Hammond wrote:

>We would like to modify the bounce message that moderated members
>receive.  We have modified Privacy options/Sender filters/Text to
>include
>in any rejection notice to be sent to moderated members who post to
>the list.
>
>config_list reports that this field has been updated:
>
># Text to include in any <a
># href="?VARHELP/privacy/sender/member_moderation_action" >rejection
># notice to be sent to moderated members who post to this list.
>member_moderation_notice = """Include this text.
>"""
>
>However, this is the bounce message that I receive.  I am a moderated
>member of the list.  This is the default message:
>
>----------
>
>Your mail to 'Internal' with the subject
>
>    another test of moderation
>
>Is being held until the list moderator can review it for approval.

The text in member_moderation_notice is only sent in a "rejection"
notice to the user when the post is rejected because
member_moderation_action is Reject. It doesn't apply if
member_moderation_action is Hold.

Further, it doesn't even apply if the post is held and subsequently
rejected by a moderator. In that case, the default rejection reason is
still the standard 'Your message was deemed inappropriate by the
moderator.' or it's i18n equiovalent.

You cannot modify the held post notice for moderated members only. You
can create a modified postheld.txt template per the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9>, but it will apply to all held posts
regardless of reason.