[Mailman-Users] Problem with Postfix/virtual setup, unknown user

Jim Wright jim at wrightthisway.com
Tue Jan 4 06:17:57 CET 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 1:34 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> In order for aliases to be consulted, delivery must be 'local' not
> 'virtual'
>
> The solution in your case is to put
> hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases in alias_maps; add localhost to
> mydestination and put
>
> VIRTUAL_MAILMAN_LOCAL_DOMAIN = 'localhost'
>
> in mm_cfg.py and run Mailman's bin/genaliases to create virtual-mailman
> mappings like
>
> test at wrightthisway.com              test at localhost

Hi, Mark.  I appreciate the suggestions, but I was hesitant to reconfigure my postfix that way, for fear of borking my working virtual domains.  I should have mentioned earlier that I have my site configured using postfix admin, and after seeing your mention of changing the delivery, that got me thinking about the problem in more depth.

I did some new googling using postfixadmin and mailman, and came across this page: http://freemars.org/howto/mailman.html, this got me a lot closer, I just needed to track down the most recent postfix-to-mailman.py script, make the required edits for my site, and I have now successfully created and sent email to my test list.

Thanks!