[Mailman-Users] Append a list owner to all lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 25 03:20:09 CET 2011

Dave Anderson wrote:

>All of our lists have separate list owners, but I would like to add a secondary list owner to all the mailing lists, is there a way to do this by command line?

There are a couple of ways to do this. The most flexible is probably
the withlist script at
<http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/change_admins.py> (mirrored at
<http://fog.ccsf.edu/~msapiro/scripts/change_admins.py>).

Another way to do it would be a shell script similar to

#!/bin/sh
f=`mktemp`
echo > $f "mlist.owner += ['aditional_owner at example.com']"
cd /path/to/mailman
for list in `bin/list_lists --bare`; do
  bin/config_list -i $f $list
done
rm $f

The drawback of this shell script is it doesn't check if
'aditional_owner at example.com' is already an owner, and if it is, the
list will wind up with a duplicate in owner. This is not an issue with
the change_admins.py script as it does check.